What Kind of Insurance Covers Hurricane Damage?
What Kind of Insurance Covers Hurricane Damage?

What Kind of Insurance Covers Hurricane Damage? Wednesday, October 19, 2022

If you're looking to live in hurricane-prone areas, it's crucial to know what types of insurance will protect your home from the ravages of a storm. Typically, homeowners insurance doesn't cover hurricane damage to your property. Fortunately, there are a few options that can help protect your property against the devastation of a storm. They include the following.

1. Homeowner's Insurance with Hurricane Deductibles

A standard home insurance policy will cover the cost of repairing your home and its contents in the case of an accident or theft. However, these policies generally won't pay to repair damage caused by extreme weather conditions, including hurricanes. You will be required to pay a deductible before receiving compensation from your insurer.

Suppose you live in an area that is subject to hurricanes. In that case, it's a good idea to consider a policy that covers hurricane damage but with a higher deductible than the standard deductible for your area. The higher deductible will help reduce your annual premiums while still keeping you covered in the event of a storm.

Insurance companies that sell homeowners insurance policies in all Atlantic coast states, except New Hampshire, always include percentage hurricane deductibles that the insured can add to their policies.



2. Homeowners Insurance with Separate Windstorm

IYou may be able to purchase additional insurance coverage for hurricane damage. Some insurers offer a type of policy known as a separate windstorm policy. This type of policy is similar to home insurance, though it often comes with higher premiums.

You can purchase these additional coverages through state-run insurance pools or from private companies. It's worth mentioning that these policies also come with certain limitations - they generally exclude coverage for water damage caused by leaks or floods.


True Builders can help you determine if a claim is warranted.  They are skilled in insurance claims and can properly guide you through the process.


3. Flood Insurance

If you live in or near a flood zone, it's important to purchase flood insurance for your home. Most standard homeowner's policies will not cover damage caused by flooding. Additionally, your insurer may not offer a separate windstorm policy that would help protect you against floods and hurricanes.

4. Water Backup Coverage

 While it's not a hurricane-specific policy, this policy can be considered hurricane-related as it protects your home from water damage that may follow a hurricane. If you live near a body of water, including a river, pond, or lake, it's a good idea to purchase water backup coverage in your home.

5. Debri Removal Coverage


If your home is damaged by a hurricane, you and your family will likely have to live somewhere else until it is repaired. If you need to rent another apartment or house while you wait, you may want to consider purchasing debris removal coverage. This type of policy covers the cost of removing a tree from your property or other types of debris that were brought in by the storm.

Hurricanes can cause massive damage, ravaging homes and businesses alike. If you live in an area that is prone to extreme weather conditions, it's a good idea to consider the additional coverages discussed above. However, make sure you understand the limitations before signing up for any additional coverage.

Please note that the biggest problem with hurricane damage coverage is the ignorance surrounding the matter. As such, sharing this article with your friends and relatives who live in areas subject to hurricanes would be highly beneficial.

Our team at True Builders is here to help you settle your insurance claim and repair your home back to - and beyond - it’s original beauty.

 We will even handle the headache of all the back & forth with the insurance company. We are experts at ensuring you get your home and property fully restored.


We are IICRC certified and licensed to respond to any disaster with emergency 24/7 service.
Trust the experienced and compassionate experts at True Builders to take care of you and your property after a crisis. Call us at (863) 624-6538 for immediate service.

Share This Post!

Did you enjoy reading this post? Share it with others.

Let's hear your thoughts.

We want to hear your opinion, let us know what you think!

Thanks for your comment!

Thanks for your feedback! Your comments have been successfully submitted! Please note, all comments require admin approval prior to display.

Error submitting comment!

There is a problem with your comment, please see below.

There have not been any comments left on this post.

Read Our 5-Star Reviews on Google Read the Reviews